education main image


button apply curved 

button curved new meet with advisor button


Degrees & Certificates in Teaching



Associate in Arts Degree

The schedule of courses suggested will meet education course requirements at several universities. It also provides a well-rounded general education for education students. All universities have specific requirements which are not reflected by the courses below. Students should check with a counselor for requirements at specific universities. According to ICCB guidelines, students must earn a “C” or better in all courses housed in this program.

► Total = 64 Hours

First Semester (15 Cr. Hrs.)

Second Semester (18 Cr. Hrs.)

Third Semester (16 Cr. Hrs.)

Fourth Semester (15 Cr. Hrs.)

Suggested Electives


1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based test scores.

2 Do not register without consulting advisor.

3 MATH 1130 and MATH 2110 must both be taken to meet IAI core requirements and to guarantee full transfer to a four-year university.

note icon All Education majors are required to pass the Constitution exam prior to graduating from Rend Lake College. Students are encouraged to take and pass the TAP test prior to RLC graduation. Illinois universities require TAP completion prior to enrollment in the Teacher Ed program courses.


Associate in Arts Degree or Associate in Science Degree

Individuals planning to teach in high school can obtain a standard high school certificate in most fields of study. Typical majors are art, biological sciences, chemistry, English, mathematics, social studies and speech.

During the first two years of study at Rend Lake College, students should complete requirements for an Associate in Arts Degree or Associate in Science Degree in their major areas. Introduction to Psychology (PSYC 2101), American History (HIST 2102), American Government (POLI 2101), a literature course and a third-world culture course are required as part of the general education requirements. After selecting their majors, students are advised to refer to that section of the Rend Lake College catalog and follow the guidelines for their particular two-year transfer programs.

After transferring to a four-year institution, students will spend the third and fourth years completing a standard major and minor, taking a series of professional education courses and completing a student teaching assignment.

note icon All Education majors are required to pass the Constitution exam prior to graduating from Rend Lake College.

Suggested Electives


  • Five pandemic-proof careers

    INA, Ill. (Aug. 6, 2020) — When shelter-in-place orders took hold in the United States this spring, many jobs were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. From February to April the unemployment rate in the United States jumped from 3.5% to 14.7%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In Illinois, the unemployment rate peaked at 17.2% in April and remained at 14.6% as of June. But as the...

Faculty & Staff

Dean of Community & Corporate Education
Phone Extension: 1367
Building: Student Center
Office: 207
M.S.Ed., Eastern Illinois University | B.S., Southern Illinois University

Community & Corporate Education Division
Phone: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1367
Email: [email protected]
Address:468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Community & Corporate Education
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Community & Corporate Education


Getting Started Is Easy As 1 - 2- 3!



Connect with us!
Visit our Welcome Center
Located just inside the main door of the Baker Administration Building
[email protected] • 618.437.5321, Ext. 1343

College office hours
Monday - Thursday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM • Friday 8 AM – 4 PM 
Monday – Thursday: 8 AM – 4 PM During Summer

Giving Now is More important than ever.