College organization chart, personnel moves approved
The board approved an organizational restructuring / transition of the college's administration, staff and support staff. The action includes changes to the organization chart, promotion of staff, changes to titles and accompanying job descriptions, and respective salaries effective Jan. 1, 2019.
According to administrative rationale, the college administration and staff have absorbed several high-level positions over the last four years, especially the past two years during the budget impasse in Illinois. As the college moves to the future and extends its efforts to use institutional data for decision making, it is necessary to realign the administrative structure. The college is placing more emphasis on student success, completion / retention rates, demographics and programmatic development, rather than just credit hours generated.
CTE Success Center Coordinator position gets green light
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the accompanying job description, advertise for and ratify the appointment of a Career Technical Education Success Center Coordinator. As the college places more emphasis on student success and institutionalizes the Health Studies Student Success Center from the Title III grant, this position will help expand efforts into the rest of the CTE programs to provide specialized tutoring specific to program needs.
Palmer moves to RLC Foundation
The board appointed ReAnne Palmer as Assistant Director of the Rend Lake College Foundation, effective Nov. 16, pending concurrence of the RLC Foundation Board of Directors. Palmer currently serves as a Public Information Specialist in the college's Marketing and Public Information Department, where she has been full-time since July 2013. Palmer holds a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and English Literature from Northern Illinois University, as well as Associate in Arts and Associate in Science Degrees from Rend Lake College.
Burk to join IT as Computer Tech
Andrew Burk was appointed as a computer technician effective Nov. 19. He holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology from Western Governors University, and has served as a network administrator for Clifton Salvage and most recently as a store manager for Hucks Travel Center.
Cosmetology's Butler moving on
The board accepted with regret the resignation of Erin Butler, Cosmetology Professor, effective Jan. 4, 2019. She has been with RLC full-time since March 2005. "I am grateful to have had the opportunity of working for Rend Lake College for 14 years," Butler said in her resignation letter.
The board heard a report on the college's reaffirmation of accreditation activities. After the visit from HLC's peer review team, the college is awaiting official word from the Higher Learning Commission's Institutional Actions Council.
In other business, the board ...
- Ratified payment of college expenses including travel reimbursements.
- Accepted the audit report for Fiscal Year 2018 as presented.
- Approved the removal of Policy & Procedure 4.1240 – Posting of Signs on Campus Bulletin / Informational Boards (second reading).
- Approved several course and curriculum matters, including title changes to nine courses, requests to develop three online courses (Integrating Microsoft Applications, Office Accounting, and Records Management), withdrawal of two courses (American Regional Cuisine and Tennis) and a change to the Culinary Arts Management Associate in Applied Science Degree.
- Approved revisions to board procedure concerning stipends and credit by means other than classroom attendance.
- Approved the 2019-2020 academic calendar.
- Granted permission to complete a qualifications-based selection process for selection of architectural and engineering services for a Capital Development Board project.
Approved an intermittent unpaid leave of absence for an employee of the RLC Foundation Children's Center.
Mark your calendars …
- Fall Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, RLC Theatre.
- Glo Bingo, 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16, the Rec.
- Spoken Word & Open Mic Night, 6:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, King City Books, Mt. Vernon.
- RLC Foundation Annual Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, Doubletree Hotel, Mt. Vernon.
- RLC Faculty / Staff Holiday Luncheon, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, Waugh Gymnasium.