Land of Lincoln Legal Aid is seeking a qualified individual to fill the role of a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer with our southern regional office’s Veterans’ program. The Veterans’ project, funded by a grant from the Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network (IL-AFLAN), works with the Marion VA Medical Center and other community groups to provide civil legal services to low- and middle-income veterans and their families in Southern Illinois. The VISTA will build capacity of this project by strengthening the Medical-Legal Partnership (MLP) between Land of Lincoln and the VA in order to educate more veterans about their legal rights and connect them to available services.
This position is a full-time, one-year term with starting dates available October 2019 or later. This position includes a monthly stipend, health benefits, and a choice of either an end-of-service cash stipend or educational award, which can be used for past loans or for future education. The VISTA would work in our Carbondale office.
- a degree in paralegal studies, social work, a health care field, law, or other related degree;
- an understanding of the issues faced by low-income veterans and a willingness to work with this population to address their legal issues;
- competency in both Word and Excel;
- and an ability to be self-directed, as well as a willingness to work in a team environment.
Salary & Benefits
Salary and benefits were not provided. Contact the employer for this information.
How to Apply
Resume and cover letter should be sent to Diane Goffinet, Managing Attorney, .
About the Employer
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low-income persons and senior citizens in 65 counties in central and southern Illinois. We believe all people of central and southern Illinois should have access to justice, income security, adequate housing, quality education, healthcare, safety from violence and exploitation, and the opportunity to improve their own lives. Through advice, representation, advocacy, education, and collaboration, we seek:
- to achieve justice for those whose voices might otherwise not be heard;
- to empower individuals to advocate for themselves; and
- to make positive changes in the communities we serve.
Rend Lake College is nationally-ranked for the success and return on investment our students experience. RLC is one of the largest employers in the district.
Thinking of taking classes? Let us know by clicking HERE and we'll be in touch.