The purpose of the Shop Helper is to contribute to the overall efficiency of the shop by completing semi-skilled and unskilled tasks, enabling Journeyman Technicians to dedicate their time to tasks requiring highly-skilled and technical expertise.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to):
- Assist Journeyman Technicians with skilled and/or technical jobs in the shop when a Journeyman is assigned to the job.
- Perform preventative maintenance and scheduled service on equipment, attachments, and components. May perform up to 500 hour interval PM services and associated tasks independently.
- Removal and installation of parts requiring use of hand and air operated tools only, excluding parts that require fine tuning for proper system operation.
- On a previously blocked-up machine, removal of undercarriage parts limited to the following: carrier rollers, and sprocket segments.
- Minor painting (not to include professional spray equipment) and heating associated with repair work.
- Conduct preliminary diagnosis of machinery, component, and system problems (Helpers may not use diagnostic equipment).
- Installation and replacement of minor electrical components, alternators, ECM’s excluding electric motors.
- Complete service reports as required
- Locate and use service literature and/or technical information as required
- Maintenance and repair of shop equipment and tools.
- Load/unload components, parts, equipment and machinery.
- Conduct machine inventories.
- Conduct storage tank and shop supplies and tool inventories.
- Maintain tanks and settling pits.
- Transport or deliver components and equipment as directed.
- Clean, pressure wash, or otherwise prepare equipment, mechanical parts and components.
- Maintain wash bays and associated equipment.
- Perform general shop and facilities clean-up as required.
- Successfully complete and pass all Service Training and employee development classes
- Conduct repairs according to Caterpillar published guidelines and recommendations
- Complete tasks in a timely manner as required by management
- Use safe working practices and required personal protective equipment at all times
- Maintain clean and organized work areas
- Complete all paperwork, data entry and reporting as required
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- Adhere to guidance and directions given by supervisors
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures
- Regular and predictable attendance is required
- Two years experience with hands-on mechanical repair work on diesel or gasoline engines, hydraulic systems, or earthmoving or industrial equipment, OR related certification from an accredited technical school, community college or training program.
- A successful candidate will be required to provide their own tools including but not limited to ¾ inch drive ratchet & socket sets, box wrench set up to1 ½ inch, ½ inch torque set, ½ inch drive impact tools and additional hand tools. A complete tool list will be provided to candidates during the interview process.
- Good computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of DBSi a plus
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift 100 lbs, ability to push/pull with 60lbs of force, ability to lift and work overhead, ability to stand/walk continuously for long periods of time and ability to squat, kneel and bend repetitively.
- Experience in hands-on mechanical repair work with diesel or gasoline engines, hydraulic systems, or earthmoving or industrial equipment.
- Ability to read and comprehend regulations, instructions, and technical information.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Reliably follows verbal instructions and guidance.
- Completes tasks without supervision.
- Strong desire to meet performance expectations.
- Desire to learn and develop skills.
- Good attitude and a cooperative spirit.
Salary & Benefits
Salary and benefits were not provided. Contact the employer for this information.
About the Employer
Information about the employer was not provided. Contact the employer for this information.
Rend Lake College is nationally-ranked for the success and return on investment our students experience. RLC is one of the largest employers in the district.
Thinking of taking classes? Let us know by clicking HERE and we'll be in touch.