student consumer info snowbird main art

Transfer of Credit to RLC

1. The student must request that the college or university attended send an official transcript to the Office of Student Records at Rend Lake College.

2. A minimum of two weeks is required for the Registrar to evaluate a student’s transcript. A student should contact the Office of Student Records to confirm that a transcript has been received and evaluated prior to registration.

3. Rend Lake College will accept transfer credit from post-secondary institutions which are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission or from comparable regional accrediting associations. If Rend Lake College has no equivalent course, the credit may be accepted as undistributed credit and will be used as elective credit only at Rend Lake College.

4. Credit earned in remedial or developmental courses will not be accepted but may be considered for placement purposes.

5. Credit for orientation, freshman experience, or first-year seminars will not be accepted but may be considered for placement purposes.

6. Grades in courses transferred from other colleges will NOT be counted in cumulative grade-point average (GPA) calculations along with grades earned in courses taken at Rend Lake College. Courses in which the student has earned a grade of “C” or greater will be accepted for transfer credit. A grade of “TC” will be shown on the transcript to indicate a transfer credit. Courses in which the student has earned a grade of “D” or below, a grade of “CR” or a pass / fail grade will NOT be accepted for transfer credit. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a pass grade received during the spring of 2020 will be reviewed for transfer purposes. In addition, courses from which the student has withdrawn will NOT be accepted for transfer credit.

7. The student will transfer the number of credit hours that were earned for a course at the student’s college or university even if the comparable course at Rend Lake College earns a different number of credit hours. However, if the student has transfer credit that is computed in quarter hours, the transfer credit will be converted from quarter hours to semester hours. Transfer credit hours will be counted in earned hours but will NOT be calculated in cumulative GPA calculations.

8. A copy of the student’s unofficial Rend Lake College transcript will be available to the student online at once the transcript evaluation process has been completed.

9. APPEALS PROCESS – A student who wishes to appeal a decision on the awarding of transfer credit may do so by submitting a written rationale outlining his or her reasons to the Registrar. 


Credit toward a degree, certificate or program area can be earned in several ways acceptable to the college.

University parallel credit – Credit earned in courses designed for transfer to another college or four-year university and which count toward degrees and certificates at Rend Lake College.

Occupational credit – Credit which is specifically designed for entry into an occupation and may or may not be acceptable as transfer credit toward a four-year baccalaureate degree.

General studies credit – Credit in general studies courses which are not transferable and are unrelated to the pursuit of a degree; this is credit given in self-improvement courses designed to meet the needs of district residents.

Transfer credit – Credit earned at another institution. Students must request that official transcripts from other colleges previously attended be sent to the Registrar for transfer evaluation at least two weeks prior to registering for classes.

Military service credit – Credit awarded for learning experiences during military service. Members and former members of the Armed Services, upon presenting separation papers (DD-214) or Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences During Military Service (DD-295), may be granted the following credits:

 Military Service College Credit
Basic Training
(Minimum 90 days)
2 credit hours - HEA 1101
Active Duty
(Minimum 180 days)
2 undistributed credit hours of Physical Education
in addition to 2 credit hours of Health

Students should contact the Registrar to have the credit evaluated and posted.

Rend Lake College also grants credit for certain experience and training in military service. Students must request official military transcripts be sent to the Registrar for transfer evaluation at least two weeks prior to registering for classes.

Illinois State Police Academy Credit 

Based upon a recommendation by the Illinois Community College Board, Rend Lake College awards credit for training by the Illinois State Police. A student must present certification that he / she has successfully completed training to the Registrar. A student may receive the following credits:

CRJS 2203 – Police Traffic Functions (3)
CRJS 2205 – Police Weapons and Defensive Tactics (3)
PYED 1160 – Aerobic Super-Circuit Fitness Center (1)

Credit by examination

Students at Rend Lake College are able to earn college credit by examination through one of the following:

1. CLEP – College-Level Examination Program General and Subject Examinations (see Academic Advisement Center)
2. AP – Advanced Placement Program (High school students may apply for AP college credit, which can replace IAI courses; see the Registrar)
3. IB – International Baccalaureate Program (see the Registrar)
4. Rend Lake College proficiency exams are available for specific Rend Lake College courses (see instructor or Dean)
5. Illinois State Seal of Biliteracy

NOTE: No more than one-quarter (25%) of the credit hours needed for a degree or certificate can be earned by examination, including CLEP, AP, IB or Rend Lake College proficiency exams, or any combination of credit by means other than classroom attendance.