The Rend Lake College Diesel Technology program is designed to provide students with the technical knowledge and work skills needed to enter the diesel engine repair and maintenance field. This mechanical-field program is structured with both lecture and laboratory experience and leads to either an Associate in Applied Science Degree or an Occupational Certificate.
College personnel take great pride in the fact that most work is based on realistic live work situations. Emphasis is placed on hydraulics, diesel fuel systems, transmissions and power trains, diesel engine maintenance, diesel engine electronics and computerized engine controllers in relation to the modern technology of today’s industry. Associate degree course work includes one semester of supervised occupational experience (on-the-job training).
Degrees & Certificates in Diesel TechnologyAPPLIED SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY DIVISION
DIESEL TECHNOLOGY - Certificate
► Total = 30 Hours
DIESEL TECHNOLOGY - Degree
Associate in Applied Science Degree
A two-year program leading to an Associate in Applied Science Degree. The program is designed to prepare students for occupations involving the maintenance and repair of diesel engines. Upon completion of the curriculum, the student should have a thorough knowledge of servicing diesel systems and their accessories. Also upon completion, the student has the option to capstone into a participating four-year institution.
► Total = 66 Hours
WELD 1270 Introduction to Welding Processes (4)
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based on test scores.
2 Highly recommended course for students in the Diesel Technology program.
Program OutcomesDiesel Technology
- Communicate effectively the current issues and challenges of the Agriculture industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to gather and synthesize information pertinent to Agriculture.
- Demonstrate the ability to calculate and interpret results of specific agricultural scenarios.
- Exhibit an in-depth understanding of internal combustion engines common to the agriculture industry.
- Develop critical thinking skills in order to troubleshoot DC electrical systems.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of fluid power.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding concerning function and adjustment of various agricultural implements.
- Demonstrate a personal work ethic and perspective necessary to be successful in the agriculture industry.