A major in English, or a strong core of English courses, prepares a student for teaching, positions in publishing and a wide range of professional writing jobs. An English major is considered good preparation for some professional programs.
Degrees & Certificates in EnglishARTS & SCIENCES DIVISION
ENGLISH — DegreeAssociate in Arts Degree
► Total = 64-65 Hours
Fourth Semester (17 Cr. Hrs.)
- ENGL Any 2000 Level Literature Course (3)
- ENGL 2106 Intermediate Composition (3)
- ENGL 2110 British Literature – 1800 to Present
or ENGL 2112 American Literature II (3)
- HIST 2101 American History I
or POLI 1101 State and Local Government
or POLI 2101 American Government (3)
- Elective – Foreign Language (4)
- Elective (1)
* Theatre Preferred
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based on test scores.
- Write a college-level essay using standard English prose and essay structure.
- Utilize research to support an argument, using proper citation formats to cite sources.
- Produce written work that is coherent, concise, and creative.
- Employ critical thinking skills to analyze and interpret experiences and written texts.
- Analyze texts using literary principles.
- Use literary principles to analyze texts.
- Write a College Level Essay
Rend Lake College's Arts Publication is "Lake." It celebrates art in all its forms. Past submissions include Fiction| NonFiction | Poetry | Graphic Design | Photography | Food | Film | Play Writing | Fine Art | Sculpture.
Contact: Peggy Davis
UPDATE — Due to ongoing health concerns with COVID-19, Rend Lake College has canceled the following event. RLC is committed to the safety of students, faculty, staff and the public and is working to limit large gatherings during this time. For up-to-date information on the college’s plan moving forward, visit rlc.edu/coronavirus. INA, Ill. (March 9, 2020) — Diversity of culture and purpose are...
INA, Ill. (Feb. 20, 2020) — Award-winning poet Allison Joseph read a selection of poems for students, staff and members of the public Thursday at Rend Lake College. Joseph is currently the director of the MFA Program in Creative Writing at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. She has published a multitude of books and chapbooks, her most recent being “Confessions of a Barefaced Woman,” which was...
INA, Ill. (Feb. 6, 2020) — Come join acclaimed author Allison Joseph as she reads a selection of her poetry this month at Rend Lake College followed by a book signing. The reading will take place starting at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20 in the private dining area of the Student Center on the Ina Campus. The book signing will follow the reading. Refreshments will be provided. Faculty, staff,...
INA, Ill. (Feb. 4, 2020) — Acclaimed entertainer Bobby Norfolk brought his storytelling skills to the Rend Lake College Theatre on Monday when he performed “Henry ‘Box’ Brown and Tales of the Underground Railroad.” Bobby Norfolk performs "Henry 'Box' Brown and Tales of the Underground Railroad" onstage in the RLC Theatre. Henry Brown escaped slavery by shipping himself in a box from Virginia to...