Heavy Equipment Technology
The Rend Lake College Heavy Equipment program is a two-year curriculum designed to provide students with the technical knowledge and work skills needed to enter the construction equipment repair field, with emphasis placed on earthmoving equipment repair and maintenance. This mechanical field programis structured with both lecture and laboratory experience and leads to an Associate in Applied Science Degree.
College personnel take great pride in the fact that most work is based on realistic “live” work situations. Emphasis is placed on heavy quipment power trains, hydraulic systems, machine maintenance, diesel engine maintenance, electrical systems, diesel engine electronics, and computerized system controllers in relation to the modern technology of today’s industry. Course work includes two supervised occupational experience internships (on-the-job training).
Degrees and Certificates in Heavy Equipment TechnologyAPPLIED SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY DIVISION
HEAVY EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY - Degree
Associate in Applied Science Degree
A two-year program leading to an Associate in Applied Science Degree. The program is designed to prepare students for occupations involving the maintenance and repair of heavy duty trucks and equipment. Upon completion of the curriculum, the student should have a thorough knowledge of engine and brake repair, servicing, sales and alignment. Also upon completion, the student has the option to capstone into a participating four-year institution.
► Total = 70 Hours
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based test scores.
HEAVY EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY - CertificateAPPLIED SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY DIVISION
This certificate is designed to prepare students for entry-level occupations involving maintenance and repair of heavy duty trucks and equipment. Upon completion of the curriculum, the students should have basic knowledge of engine, brakes, servicing and undercarriage.
► Total = 29 Hours
Click on a course's code to view details and find seat availability
Program OutcomesHeavy Equipment Technology
- Evaluate electrical circuits and components possessing the ability to identify and replace faulty components.
- Analyze hydraulic systems with the ability to determine if they are operating properly and if they are not, identify and replace defective components.
- Analyze power trains systems, be able to trouble-shoot, repair and replace worn components.
- Trouble-shoot and repair diesel engines related to Heavy Equipment.
- Analyze air conditioning systems with the ability to diagnose and repair problems.
- Perform repairs on equipment using safe work procedures observing all applicable O.S.H.A. standards.
- Demonstrate work ethics which will make the individual successful in the work force, and/or transfer to a senior institution.