Given that history is the study of the human past, college-level history is valuable for any major. It's especially helpful with figuring out what subject and majors interest you.
Why study History?
Have you ever wanted to ...
- better understand the world around you?
- better understand the people around you?
- better understand why people behave the way they do?
- learn more about other cultures?
- learn more about history than dates, names and wars?
You'll learn aspects of history that fit with just about every subject:
- The origins of social work
- The birth of the field of psychology and its impact on society
- The evolution of business and capitalism
- The labor history of the United States (mining, agriculture, machines)
- The progression of science
- The advancements of medicine
- The innovation of technology
- The history of Latin America, the United States, Western Europe, the Middle East and much more!
Degree in History
Associate in Arts Degree
This two-year transfer program leads to an Associate of Arts Degree. The curriculum is designed for students pursuing a baccalaureate degree in various areas of history. It provides students with the background in history and general studies necessary for advanced work at a four-year institution. Students should check with the institution to which they are transferring or an advisor for any other requirements.
► Total = 64 Hours
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based on test scores.
- Identify basic historical concepts and time periods.
- Apply sound historical research and writing skills.
- Analyze various historical texts, interpretations and perspectives.
- Identify the events of the past that have impacted history.
- Develop, articulate and write their personal historical perspective on history.
UPDATE — Due to ongoing health concerns with COVID-19, Rend Lake College has canceled the following event. RLC is committed to the safety of students, faculty, staff and the public and is working to limit large gatherings during this time. For up-to-date information on the college’s plan moving forward, visit rlc.edu/coronavirus. INA, Ill. (March 9, 2020) — Diversity of culture and purpose are...
INA, Ill. (Feb. 4, 2020) — Acclaimed entertainer Bobby Norfolk brought his storytelling skills to the Rend Lake College Theatre on Monday when he performed “Henry ‘Box’ Brown and Tales of the Underground Railroad.” Bobby Norfolk performs "Henry 'Box' Brown and Tales of the Underground Railroad" onstage in the RLC Theatre. Henry Brown escaped slavery by shipping himself in a box from Virginia to...
Faculty & Staff
Connect with us!
Visit our Welcome Center
Located just inside the main door of the Baker Administration Building
[email protected] • 618.437.5321, Ext. 1343
College office hours
Monday - Thursday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM • Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
Monday – Thursday: 8 AM – 4 PM During Summer