This two-year transfer program leads to an Associate of Arts Degree and is designed for students pursuing a baccalaureate degree in political science. The Political Science transfer curriculum provides students with the background in political science and general studies necessary for advanced work at a four-year institution. Students are advised to check with the institution to which they are transferring or a Rend Lake College advisor for any additional requirements.
Degrees & Certificates in Political Science
Associate in Arts Degree
► Total = 64 Hours
First Semester (16 Cr. Hrs.)
- CSCI 1101 Introduction to Computers (3)
- ENGL 1101 Rhetoric and Composition I 1 (3)
- POLI 1101 State and Local Government 1 (3)
- Elective – Science with Lab (4)
- Elective (3)
Second Semester (17 Cr. Hrs.)
- ENGL 1102 Rhetoric and Composition II (3)
- GEOG 1101 Introduction to Geography (3)
- HEA 1101 Health Education (2)
- POLI 2101 American Government (3)
- PSYC 2101 Introduction to Psychology or
SOCI 1101 Introduction to Sociology (3)
- Elective (3)
Third Semester (16 Cr. Hrs.)
- COMM 1101 Principles of Effective Speaking (3)
- ECON 2101 Principles of Economics I (3)
- MATH 1111 Statistics 1 (4)
- Elective – Fine Arts (3)
- Elective – Social Science (3)
Fourth Semester (15 Cr. Hrs.)
- ECON 2102 Principles of Economics II (3)
- ENGL 2106 Intermediate Composition (3)
- Elective – Humanities (3)
- Elective – Fine Arts / Humanities (3)
- Elective – Science (3)
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based on test scores.
Program OutcomesPolitical Science
- Learn concepts, terminology, and theories necessary in understanding national, state, and local governments.
- Apply factual knowledge to evaluate and critique real-life situations within the American political system.
- Develop verbal communication skills that effectively articulate arguments during presentations, discussion, and political debate.
- Demonstrate writing skills which illustrate points in a concise, coherent, and creative manner as it applies to a political forum.
Faculty & Staff
Connect with us!
Visit our Welcome Center
Located just inside the main door of the Baker Administration Building
[email protected] • 618.437.5321, Ext. 1343
College office hours
Monday - Thursday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM • Friday 8 AM – 4 PM
Monday – Thursday: 8 AM – 4 PM During Summer