For students interested in architecture, RLC offers several programs and certificates to jumpstart a profession in a variety of careers, from on-site construction manager to surveyor, teacher and many more. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, students with degrees or certificates in architecture from community colleges and above will see about a 5.7 percent increase in job availablility between 2010 and 2020. Top careers included in the report are Architects, Architecture Teachers, Surveyors, and Engineers.
Degrees & Certificates in Architecture
ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGY — Degree
This is a two-year program leading to an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Architectural Technology. The curriculum has a 2+2 articulation agreement with Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Architectural Studies program. The curriculum also has transfer options into SIU’s Professional Construction Management program, Illinois State University’s Construction Management program and Purdue University’s Building Construction and Management program. The Architectural Technology program will provide students the necessary skills and abilities to enter the workforce in technical support positions in architectural- or construction-related fields.
► Total = 69 Hours
Click on a course's code to view details and find seat availability
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based on test scores.
2 Rhetoric and Composition II (ENGL 1102) will be required for most baccalaureate-transfer programs.
ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGY — Certificate
► Total = 30 Hours
SUGGESTED GENERAL EDUCATION ELECTIVES:MATH
- MATH 1107 Contemporary College Mathematics 1 (3)
- MATH 1108 College Algebra (3)
- MATH 1109 Plane Trigonometry (3)
- MATH 1110 College Algebra and Trigonometry (5)
- MATH 1201 Technical Mathematics 2 (3)
- PHSC 1101 Physical Science (5)
- PHY 1101 College Physics I (5)
- PHY 1102 College Physics II (5)
- PHY 1201 Technical Physics I 2 (5)
Other Recommended Electives
- ARCH 2210 Architectural Internship (3)
- ART 1101 Art Appreciation (3)
- ENGL 1102 Rhetoric and Composition II (3)
- HIST 1101 Western Civilization I (3)
- HIST 1102 Western Civilization II (3)
1 IAI approved.
2 Minimum requirement – may not transfer.
COMPUTER-AIDED DRAFTING — Certificate*
► Total = 11 Hours
* Students must demonstrate proficiency in drafting.
NOTE: In order to complete CAD 1201 and 1204 in one semester, students must enroll in consecutive eight-week sessions.
SURVEYING TECHNOLOGY — Degree
A two-year program leading to an AAS Degree in Surveying Technology. Students wishing to pursue a baccalaureate degree in Advanced Technical Studies at Southern Illinois University Carbondale may do so with an additional 60 semester hours of coursework. Upon completion of the Advanced Technical Studies Degree, a graduate will be able to take the Surveyor-in-Training Examination.
► Total = 69 Hours
1 Prerequisite course(s) may be required based test scores.
2 Consult with advisor for recommended courses.
Program OutcomesArchitecture/Surveying Technology
- Demonstrate an understanding of the profession of architecture including the necessary skill, attitudes and relevance to society.
- Recommend necessary materials using display techniques to solve architectural problems.
- Interpret the primary periods of architecture identifying the merits of each period.
- Illustrate multiple solutions to construction problems.
- Provide viable solutions to a building design problem within existing architectural, environmental, sustainability and health & life safety constraints.
Articulation agreements document a pathway between Rend Lake College and the following schools for the academic program(s) listed.
The curriculum has a 2+2 articulation agreement with Southern Illinois University Carbondale's Architectural Studies program. The curriculum also has transfer options into SIU's Professional Construction Management program, Illinois State University's Construction Management program and Purdue University's Building Construction and Management program.
Faculty & Staff
Applied Science & Technology Division
Phone: (618) 437-5321 Ext. 1261
Address: 468 N. Ken Gray Parkway, Ina, IL 62846 Attn: Applied Science
Fax Number: (618) 437-5677 Attn: Applied Science