Tentative FY 2016 budget approved
Approved the tentative Fiscal Year 2016 budget. As required by law, the proposed budget will be available for public inspection for 30 days and a public hearing on the budget will be held at 6 p.m. prior to the regular board meeting scheduled for Sept. 15.
Joint agreement for HIT receives approval
The board approved a joint agreement for educational cooperation among Rend Lake College, Southeastern Illinois College and Shawnee Community College for Health Information Technology with special considerations. This agreement allows for students from SIC and Shawnee to attend RLC as Health Information Technology students. The agreement is needed because the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), the accrediting body for HIT programs, no longer recognizes consortiums such as the Southern Illinois Collegiate Common Market as viable mechanisms for delivery of such a degree.
Bernard takes reins of AmeriCorps
Amanda Bernard was employed as Director of Land of Lincoln AmeriCorps effective Aug. 12. She holds a Master of Arts Degree in Human Services / Social Service Administration from the University of Illinois, a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology from Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and an Associate of Arts Degree from Rend Lake College. She most recently was the regional outreach coordinator for Get Covered Illinois and also has served as family support services supervisor at United Methodist Children's Home.
Stipend positions created
The board approved the creation of two stipend positions Tuesday, both effective Aug. 1: Director of Nursing and Clinical Coordinator of the Pharmacy Technician Program. The Director of Nursing stipend is needed due to the resignation of Melisa Berendson. The clinical coordinator position was created to ensure a quality clinical experience for students and to help strengthen industry partnerships in light of the recent Illinois Community College Board approval of the program.
Two positions to be filled
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description and advertise for a full-time Industrial Trainer with a tentative start date of Oct. 1. The position is needed to fulfill various industry demands for training, including but not limited to Occupational Safety and Health Administration and other industry-specific needs. In addition, this position will provide institutional support for compliance and oversight for safety standards, as well as act as liaison with industry to identify emerging needs.
The board also approved the job description and granted permission to advertise for a full-time Web Developer / Graphic Designer. The position is needed due to the recent transfer of Web / SharePoint Developer Garrett Collier to the position of Network Specialist. This individual will help code and design the college's website and maintain its functionality, as well as design electronic and print pieces for marketing and public information purposes.
Nursing Department's Berendson moving on
The board accepted with regret the resignation of Melisa Berendson, Director of Nursing, effective Aug. 3. "I've greatly enjoyed my time at Rend Lake College and I do appreciate and thank you for the opportunity to work in both the faculty and administrative roles during my time here. I have learned so much in both that will assist me throughout my career," Berendson wrote in her resignation letter.
In other business, the board ...
- Approved revisions to board policy concerning fees.
- Approved a revision to the amount of coverage needed and the principal party insured under a surety bond for Rend Lake College as required by state statute. The state requires that the college execute and obtain a surety bond from a recognized agent for the treasurer of the district. Upon review of current cash balances, investments held and bonds outstanding, it has been determined that the college needs a surety bond in an amount no less than $19.5 million to meet the legal requirement for protection of the district's counties and the state.
- Did not renew the employment contract of the Area Health Education Center Director, effective Aug. 31. This is due to the fact that the college will no longer be a host site for the center, but will be available as a partner for AHEC programs in the future.
- Approved revisions to three salaries which were not reported correctly at the June board meeting.
Mark your calendars …
- Cruise Nights at the RLC MarketPlace, Mt. Vernon – 6-9 p.m. Fridays, Sept. 4, and Oct. 2.
- Fun Fest – Noon-3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 16, on campus.
- 35th Annual RLC Foundation Golf Outing – Thursday, Sept. 17, Rend Lake Golf Course, noon shotgun start.
- Warrior Fest – 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 19, on campus.
- ACCT Annual Leadership Congress, Oct. 14-17, San Diego, Calif.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Banquet, 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 15, Rend Lake Resort.
- RLC Fall Open House, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015, RLC Student Center.
- Paramedic Accreditation Site Visit – Nov. 3-5.