FY 2019 Budget approved
The board adopted the FY 2019 budget as presented at the August 7, 2018 Board of Trustees meeting. The budget was presented in tentative form at the August meeting. A public hearing was held at 6 p.m. prior to the regular board meeting this evening, September 11, 2018.
Board adopts 2018 tax levy
The board adopted the 2018 tax levy (payable 2019). The corporate and special purposes levy went from $3,547,797 in 2017 to $3,692,953 in 2018, an increase of 4.09 percent. The debt service levy went from $3,117,676 in 2017 to $3,180,426 in 2018, an increase of 2.01 percent. Because the corporate and special purposes levy is not greater than 105 percent of last year's levy, no Truth in Taxation hearing is required.
Maxwell appointed as TRIO Director
The board appointed Christy Rose Maxwell as TRIO Program Director, effective October 4, 2018. Maxwell has an MBA from Missouri State University and has recently served as the Talent Search Outreach Specialist at Three Rivers Community College.
Nursing Program hires two instructors
The board approved two instructor positions in the Nursing program:
- Crystal Mulvaney, effective October 16, 2018. Mulvaney has nine years of nursing experience as well as some adjunct faculty experience. She has a BSN (Bachelor of Science Nursing) with MSN (Master of Science in Nursing) Educator degree from Chamberlain College of Nursing. She was recently employed at SSM Healthcare.
- Tracy Smith, effective October 16, 2018. Smith has 13 years of nursing experience as well as some adjunct faculty experience. She has a DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice) from McKendree University and was recently employed at Union County Hospital.
The board heard a report on the college's reaffirmation of accreditation activities. The college is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is due for a comprehensive evaluation visit by the HLC Sept. 24-25, 2018. The college submitted its assurance argument on Aug. 23; this is the document which lays out the college’s evidence that it meets HLC’s five criteria for accreditation. During the visit by the peer review team later this month, the reviewers will meet with various college constituencies and begin developing their own report and recommendations.
In other business, the board ...
- Ratified payment of college expenses including travel reimbursements.
- Approved the minutes of the August 7, 2018 Board of Trustees meeting.
- Adopted a resolution appointing President Terry Wilkerson and Vice President of Finance Angie Kistner as representatives of the RLC Board Secretary to accept candidate’s nominating petitions for the April 2019 election.
- Approved new curriculum for an Industrial Maintenance course and requests to develop online and hybrid courses in Botany, Chemistry, and Computer Science. The board also authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board for action.
- Approved permission to create RLC Board Policy & Procedure 2.1300 – Informal Complaints (first reading).
- Approved revisions to Board Policy 3.1530 – Holidays (first reading).
- Approved revisions to Board Policy & Procedure 3.1115 – Stipends.
- Approved a resolution to support the Franklin County I-57 Enterprise Zone.
- Approved Protection, Health, and Safety Projects (PHS Levy) for FY20.
- Approved permission to advertise for bids and award for replacement of three air handler unites in the Advanced Technology Center.
- Approved permission to advertise for bids and award for replacement of five smoke vents on the Learning Resource Center rooftop.
- Ratified the registration of a nursing instructor, effective Sept. 21.
Mark your calendars …
- Fun Fest, Noon – 3 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12, Ina campus.
- Thirty-eighth Annual Rend Lake College Foundation Golf Outing, noon shotgun start, Thursday, Sept. 13, Rend Lake Golf Course, Whittington.
- Illinois Regional College Fair, 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18, Waugh Gymnasium.
- HLC On-Site Visit, Monday, Sept. 24 – Tuesday, Sept. 25, RLC Campuses.
- Faculty / Staff Fall In-Service, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, RLC Theatre.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Dinner, 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18, Benton Civic Center.
- Criminal Justice Roundup, 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 22, Private Dining Area, Student Center.
- Fall Play “The Nutcracker,” 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8 – Saturday, Nov. 9; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 10, RLC Theatre.
- Fall Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 15, RLC Theatre.
- Glo Bingo, 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16, the Rec.
- Spoken Word & Open Mic Night, 6:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, King City Books, Mt. Vernon.
- RLC Foundation Annual Dinner, 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, Doubletree Hotel, Mt. Vernon.