FY 2020 Budget approved
The board approved the FY 2020 budget as presented. As required by law, the proposed budget has been available for public inspection for thirty (30) days. A public hearing was held prior to the meeting.
Board adopts 2019 tax levy
The board adopted the 2019 tax levy (payable 2020). The corporate and special purposes levy went from $3,692,953 in 2018 to $3,877,505 in 2019, an increase of 4.99 percent. The debt service levy went from $3,180,426 in 2018 to $3,179,068 in 2019, an increase of 0.00 percent. Because the corporate and special purposes levy is not greater than 105 percent of last year's levy, no Truth in Taxation hearing is required.
The board granted permission to bid to replace the Vocational and Aquatic lobby roof, and flashing using Protection, Health and Safety Levy funds for FY21. The current Vocational Addition roof is 31 years old and has exceeded its life expectancy. The Aquatics flat roof has shown major wear and is in need of this replacement. This project is expected to exceed the $50,000 limit set by Illinois Community College Board’s guidelines and must be advertised for competitive bids. There are not sufficient funds available in the Operations and Maintenance Funds to complete these projects.
Draper appointed Student Success Coordinator
The board approved revisions to the job description and approved the appointment of Sarah Draper as Student Success Coordinator on a full-time, 50-week, non-tenure track contract, effective September 10, 2019. Draper is a licensed state of Illinois social worker and has had clinical experience as a therapist dealing with clients from adolescent thru senior care. Sarah has also been an Associate Professor of Sociology at Rend Lake College since 2005.
Board appoints Mary Stanfield
The board appointed Mary Stanfield as Specialist – Subsidized Child Care – Child Care Resource and Referral on a full-time, 50-week, grant funded, non-tenure track contract, effective October 1, 2019 pending completion of a successful background check. The position of subsidized child care specialist is currently vacant and needs to be filled to meet the needs of the institution and IDHS grant guidelines. Stanfield meets all of the qualifications for the position.
Fox named Custodial Supervisor
The board ratified the appointment of Alan Fox Sr. as Custodial Supervisor on a full-time, 50-week, non-tenure track contract, effective September 9, 2019. Fox has the background needed to fulfill the custodial supervisory role. He has been employed with the college as a custodian as well as a shipping/receiving clerk over the past three years. He has gained valuable knowledge of the campus. He is familiar with the faculty/staff, and proves to have strong supervisory skills. His history with the college as well as the management style he brings, will fill the gap needed to strengthen the physical plant.
Salesberry granted tenure
The board granted tenure to Lynn Salesberry, Nursing Instructor, effective January 6, 2020. Salesberry is knowledgeable and keeps herself up to date with changes in the nursing field. She has also concentrated her efforts towards continuous improvement of classroom management and instruction.
New Position: Specialist – Web and Social Media
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description, and advertise for Specialist – Web & Social Media, effective September 10, 2019. With the increased importance and use of the college’s website and the need to leverage our various social media presences for marketing and informational purposes, this position is needed to meet the needs of the college. This position would be part of the Marketing and Public Information Department and emerged as a supported need during the recent strategic planning process.
New position: Specialist – Community Outreach
The board granted permission to create the position, approve the job description, advertise for and ratify the appointment of Community Outreach Specialist at the October 22, 2019 board meeting, effective September 10, 2019. This position maximizes the opportunity provided by the introduction of Junior Achievement to area grade schools. The presence of Rend Lake College and the opportunities that it provides to future students is invaluable to the sustainability of the area.
In other business, the board...
- Held a second reading on revisions to the Rend Lake College Travel Reimbursement policy.
- Approved job description revisions, as presented.
- Approved revisions the Board Policy and Procedure regarding performance evaluations and tenure to faculty members, as presented.
- Accepted with regret the resignation of Felicia Follmer, Administrative Assistant to the President / Human Resources Specialist, effective September 19, 2019.
- Ratified the payment of college expenses including travel expense reimbursements as presented.
Mark your calendars...
- Visiting Artist; Marie Samuels | September 3 – October 11 in the Theater Lobby
- Navistar Donation Press Conference | 10 a.m. on Wednesday September 11 at the Coal Mining Building
- Fun Fest | Noon – 3 p.m. on Wednesday, September 11
- Annual RLCF Golf Outing | Thursday, September 12 at the Rend Lake Golf Course
- Illinois Regional College Fair | 8 – 10:30 a.m., Thursday, September 17 in James “Hummer” Waugh Gymnasium
- Art Demonstration; Marie Samuels | Thursday, September 19 in LRC 103
- SIU Filmmakers | 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, September 24 in the RLC Theater
- RLC Auto Car Show | 9 a.m. – 1p.m. on Saturday, October 5 at Ina Campus
- Fall Market | 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, October 5 at the Rend Lake College MarketPlace
- Faculty/Staff In-Service | Tuesday, October 15 in the RLC Theater
- RLCF 30thAnnual Scholarship Dinner | 5 – 8 p.m. on Monday, October 17 at the Benton Civic Center
- Criminal Justice Scholarship Roundup | 6 p.m. Thursday, October 21 in the Private Dining Area
- Halloween Concert | 7 p.m. Friday, October 25 in the RLC Theater
- Career Days | October 29-30 on the Rend Lake Campus
- Kindergarten Day | 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Thursday, November 7 at the Rend Lake Campus
- Fall Play: Sinbad | 7 p.m. Nov. 7-9, 2 p.m. Nov 10 in the RLC Theater
- LRC Trivia Night | 7 p.m. Friday, November 15 in the Learning Resource Center
- Spoken Word and Open Mic Night | 6 p.m. Monday, November 18 at King City Books in Mt. Vernon
- RLC Foundation Annual Dinner | 6 p.m. Thursday, December 5 at the Mt. Vernon Hotel and Event Center