Board of Trustees Meeting - February 8, 2022
Under New Business, the Board:
Approved development of hybrid course, changes to existing courses, and authorized their submission to the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) for action effective on the dates listed.
RATIONALE: The items have been approved by the Curriculum Committee and Academic Council. These changes improve the college's educational offerings and support efforts to enhance the quality of instruction.
Approved revisions to Rend Lake College Policy & Procedure 4.1115 – Fees, effective the Fall Term 2022.
RATIONALE: Rend Lake College Policy & Procedure 4.1115 – Fees needs to be updated to better reflect the needs of the college.
Approved revisions to Rend Lake College Board Policy & Procedure 3.1205 – Performance Evaluation and Tenure of Faculty Members as presented, effective February 8, 2022.
RATIONALE: The tenured/tenure track faculty seniority list is updated each February and October as needed and requires Board approval for revisions.
Established the in-district tuition rate of $110 per credit hour for the Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Spring 2023 terms. This represents a $0 increase from the current tuition rate. The out-of-district and out-of-state tuition rate will also remain the same.
RATIONALE: At this time, the College feels that it will be able to maintain a strong financial position and meet the forecasted budgetary needs of the College without increasing our tuition rates. Maintaining our current tuition rates will allow the College to remain competitive with our peer group schools, and will allow us to maintain our stature as one of the most affordable community colleges in the state.
Approved the Notice of Election for the Student Board Member of the Board of Trustees effective February 8, 2022.
RATIONALE: In accordance with the Illinois Public Community College Act, Board approval on the Notice of Election is required. Notice of Election will be published in the district’s newspapers. The student board member shall serve a one-year term beginning with the April Board Meeting.
Heard a first reading to create Rend Lake College Policy & Procedure 4.1416 – Microscholarships, as presented, that would be effective March 8, 2022.
RATIONALE: This policy is being created to clarify the institution’s intent for the Microscholarship Program.
Ratified approval of the Rend Lake College COVID-19 Reporting, Vaccination, and Testing Protocol for Students as presented, effective Spring Semester 2022. It is understood that this plan is fluid and may change based on new guidance or developments with the pandemic.
RATIONALE: This plan was developed to operate within the guidance of Executive Order 2021-22 as amended by Executive Orders 2021-23, 2021-27, and 2022-01.
Heard a first reading to approve revisions to Rend Lake College policy manual section 2: General College Matters and create Section 6: Campus Police Department, as presented, effective March 8, 2022.
RATIONALE: The revisions to the current policy manual are needed to make the manual more efficient and effective and to identify and reflect policies specific to the police department.
Under Personnel, the Board:
Accepted with regret the retirement resignation of Gary McGill, Chief of Police effective June 30, 2022. McGill has worked at RLC for the last 18 years.
Appointed John Gulley as the Chief Financial Officer, effective February 16, 2022.
RATIONALE: Gulley has the educational qualifications and community college experience necessary to be successful in the position. With the anticipated retirement of the VP of Finance in June, hiring Gulley at this time will allow for ample time to transition into the CFO position, as well as prepare the Business Office for the next fiscal year.
Gulley has been the controller at RLC since 2017. He has a master’s degree in public administration and a bachelor’s degree in history, both from Southern Illinois University. He also worked as the treasurer for Franklin County for more than 10 years.
Ratified the appointment of Rebecca Robinson as Grant Writer, effective January 18, 2022, and revised the job description.
RATIONALE: Robinson has all the educational qualifications and experience necessary to be successful in the position. This is a position that will be split 60/40 with Southeastern Illinois College. Robinson previously worked as a grant writer at Brehm Preparatory School Inc. and at the US Census Bureau as a Partnership Specialist. She was a summer course instructor at Rend Lake College in 2018.
Granted tenure for Heather Bauersachs, Academic Advisor, effective July 01, 2022.
RATIONALE: Bauersachs serves students in a professional, personable and effective manner and is patient in explaining the different processes pertaining to college. In addition to her role in Academic Advising, she is also the Director of the Murphy-Wall Pinckneyville Campus. She has shown a longstanding commitment and dedication to the college and community.
Granted tenure to Mike Meinert, Welding Instructor, effective August 15, 2022.
RATIONALE: Meinert continues to stay current on industry demands and has a good working relationship with the other instructors and administrators. He has been instrumental in converting OSHA and MSSC courses to online/hybrid formats to meet student needs and industry expectations. In the near future he will be instrumental with piloting welding as the college’s first program offered as competency based education.
Granted tenure to Jessica Bertolozzi, Academic Advisor, effective November 15, 2022.
RATIONALE: Bertolozzi has proven herself an asset to Rend Lake College as an Academic Advisor over the last five semesters. She is an advocate for students and works well with the faculty, administration, and staff. She teaches in the First Year Experience (FYE) Program and works closely with the FYE Coordinator making updates to the curriculum. She has also been an instructor for Orientation 1101 over two semesters.
Appointed Ashley Baldridge as Higher Education Navigator, effective February 16, 2022.
RATIONALE: Baldridge meets the educational requirements and has experience relevant to the position. She has an Associate in Applied Science degree from Rend Lake College and a Bachelor of Science in early childhood education from Southern Illinois University Carbondale. She has previously worked as a Lead Teacher at Bright Start Child and Family Education from 2019 to 2021 and was the Assistant Director and Early Preschool Teacher at Bumblebee Child Care Center from 2018 to 2019. Other experience includes working as the Lead Early Preschool Teacher at the Good Samaritan/SSM Health Child Care Center from 2012 to 2018.
Mark Your Calendar
- Visiting Artist: Spencer Meagher, January 17 – February 28, RLC Theater Lobby.
- ACES Competition, Wednesday, February 9, Rend Lake College campus.
- Art Demonstration: Carrie Gibbs, Thursday, February 17, Learning Resource Center Room 103, noon.
- Faculty/Staff In-Service, Tuesday, February 22, RLC Theater.
- High School Counselor Conference, Friday, February 25, Student Center Private Dining Area, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Rend Lake College/Southeastern Illinois College Choir Concert, Tuesday, March 1, RLC Theater, 7 p.m.
- Transition Summit, Thursday, March 3, RLC Campus, TBD.
- RLC Foundation Scholarship Banquet, Thursday, March 3, Benton Civic Center, 5:30 p.m.
- Sophomore Art Show, March 7 – May 2, Theater Lobby.
- Kickstart Your Journey, Tuesday and Wednesday, March 8-9, Rend Lake College Campus.
- Annual RLC/SIC Student Nursing Conference, Tuesday, March 15, RLC Theater, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- CTE Advisory Board Committee Meetings, Thursday, March 17, Student Center Private Dining Area, 5:30 p.m.
- Illinois College Advisor Council South District Seminar, Thursday, March 17, Student Center Private Dining Area, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Culinary Showcase, March 17 – May 5 on Thursdays, Student Center Private Dining Area, 5-8 p.m.
- HOLI, Friday, March 18, Rend Lake College Theater, 1 p.m.
- Mental Health & Wellbeing Lunch on the Lake, Monday and Tuesday, March 21-22, Rend Lake College Warrior Way, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- One Woman Show: Ashley Beard Slant, Wednesday, March 23, Rend Lake College Theater, noon.
- Career Connections Fair, Thursday, March 24, The REC, 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- CNA Conference, Friday, March 25, Rend Lake College Theater, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Lake Arts Publication Reception, Thursday, April 7, Pheasant Hollow Winery, 4:30 p.m.
- Little Women Musical, April 7-10, Rend Lake College Theater.
- Jefferson County Block Party, Tuesday, April 12, Mt. Vernon City Park, noon-4 p.m.
- Children’s Health Fair, Tuesday, April 28, The REC, 9:30 a.m.-noon.
- Kindergarten Days, Friday, April 29, Rend Lake College Campus, 8 a.m.-noon.
First-Year Experience Coordinator Hillary Halsey and Academic Advisor Jessica Bertolozzi gave a presentation on the First-Year Experience program