The entire family will find some fun with two great events coming to the Rend Lake College MarketPlace on April 13.
The RLC MarketPlace Car Show and the Playing it Safe: Community Health and Safety Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 13, at the RLC MarketPlace. The car show will be held on the east side of Potomac Boulevard in the parking lot near the replica of the Washington Monument. The health and safety fair activities will be held on the west side of Potomac at the MarketPlace.
The Car Show is a new event at the MarketPlace and will coincide with the April Car Care Awareness Inspection, which is a free 41-point vehicle inspection conducted by students in the RLC Automotive Technology program.
“This should be a really great car show,” said RLC Automotive Technology Professor Nigel Thompson. “We’re expecting some awesome cars for this event and we hope it’s the start of an annual show.”
Registration for the car show will be held from 10-11:30 a.m., judging will take place starting at 11:30 a.m., and the awards presentation will be at 2 p.m. For those interested in registering a car for the show, the registration cost is only $5. Dash plaques will be given to the first 35 entrants. Trophies will be given in these categories: Best of Show, Best Ford, Best GM, Best Mopar, Best Paint, Best Motor and Best Street Rod, as well as the top 10 1982 and newer models and the top 25 1981 and older models.
In addition to the competition, a 32-inch LCD TV will be given away, as will a new golf bag from the RLC Golf Outlet. Door prizes will be awarded and hot dogs and refreshments will be provided by Mt. Vernon NAPA.
The coinciding free vehicle inspection is part of a partnership of the Car Care Council, the Automotive Parts and Service Association of Illinois and Mt. Vernon NAPA. For more information about National Car Care Month please visit www.carcare.org or www.apsail.com.
This day features more than custom cars. The Playing it Safe: Community Health and Safety Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the same day. It is being organized by Project CHILD, Rend Lake College’s Child Care Resource and Referral program.
The fair will be held at the RLC MarketPlace and will feature various activities and booths sponsored by several community organizations which have stepped up to participate. Project CHILD will be offering child safety seat checks, at which they will examine child car seats for proper installation and use.
Child fingerprinting will be offered by the Southern Illinois Masons, and The Medicine Shoppe will provide information about proper disposal of prescription medications.
“This event is dedicated to providing safety information in all kinds of areas, from those centered on our children to learning about identity theft,” said Tranae Brockhouse, Director of Project CHILD. “We’re going to have some fun while we’re at it, too.”
The RLC Fitness Center, which has a new location at the MarketPlace, will be giving away free passes, and WDML’s Rockin’ Rhino will be on hand broadcasting the day’s events.
The various activities and booths will include:
- Ambulance Tours – Litton Ambulance
- Anti-Bullying Information – Susan Bishop, Bully Prevention Specialist
- Bicycle Safety – Conti Cycling Club
- Blood Drive & Blood Pressure Checks – RLC Nursing Program
- Child Fingerprinting (CHIP) – Southern Illinois Masons
- Child Safety Seat Checks – Project CHILD & Illinois Department of Transportation
- Community Education Offerings – RLC’s Center for Business & Corporate Education
- Cove Connection Information – Cove Connection (mentor program for young mothers or mothers-to-be)
- CPR & AED – Rend Lake College American Heart Association Training Center
- Diabetes Awareness – Jefferson County Health Department
- Disability Awareness – Opportunities for Access
- Early Intervention – Child and Family Connections
- Fire Safety – Mt. Vernon Fire Department
- Healthy Hair & Nails – RLC Cosmetology Program
- Helicopter Tours – Air Evac Lifeteam
- Identity Theft – Community First Bank of the Heartland
- Poison Prevention – RLC Foundation Children’s Center
- Prescription Medication Disposal – The Medicine Shoppe
- Radon Testing – Southern Illinois Radon Task Force
- Seat Belt Convincer Simulator – Illinois State Police & Illinois Department of Transportation
- Sun Safety – United Methodist Children’s Home Best Beginnings
- Water Safety – Mt. Vernon Parks & Recreation Department
For more information about the RLC MarketPlace Car Show or to register a car, contact Thompson at 618-437-5321, Ext. 1806, or at. For more information about Playing it Safe, contact Brockhouse at 618-244-2210 or email to.