INA, Ill. (July 13, 2021) — Rend Lake College took its first step toward an all-inclusive textbook program Tuesday night at its monthly meeting of the Board of Trustees. Members unanimously passed the first reading of a change to RLC's textbook policy that will take effect next Summer.
Since 1998, the college has used a textbook rental program that saved students millions over two decades. RLC's board and administration believes the new, fee-based program will save students and families even more at a time when accessibility and affordability are imperative to higher education. Following a review of potential proposals by outside vendors — and careful consideration and analysis of options — administration believes students will be able to better budget and plan for textbook costs through a fee-based program. The college will continue to own and operate the campus bookstore, which will administer the new program. Students will be able to order their books online after registering for classes. More details, including the new fee structure, are expected to be presented and acted on at the August board meeting.
Unterbrink awarded Event Center construction bid
A bid of $1,562,708 from Bruce Unterbrink Construction Inc, of Greenville, was accepted for construction of the new RLC Event Center. The bid includes four alternates for sanding, cleaning and staining existing roof deck beams; replacing tile and painting walls in the lobby; installing wood wainscot on columns in the conference room and lobby; and removing clerestory windows and insulated metal panels, and installing new insulated metal panels. The funding for this project will come from bonding sources already available resulting in no additional cost to the taxpayers of the district.
Baseball Coach Bullington hired as new Academic Advisor
Warriors Head Baseball Coach Walker Bullington was appointed to a full-time, tenure-track Academic Advisor position, effective August 16. Bullington's appointment to the Academic Advisor with Baseball position comes after former advisor Tonya Odum's recent transfer to Coordinator of Industry Training & Apprenticeships. Coach Bullington took over the baseball program last August. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Carson Newman University (Tenn.) where he played first base for the Eagles.
Brown named Records Specialist
Elissa Brown was hired as a full-time Records Specialist, effective July 12. Brown has an Associate in Arts degree from RLC, and she had worked as an assistant teacher at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Richards appointed Business Office Specialist
Heather Richards was appointed as a Business Office Specialist, effective July 26. She has an Associate in Applied Science in office management from the University of Phoenix and an Associate in Science in early education from Eastern Illinois University. She had worked at Asbury & Associates, H&R Block and Charleston Family Dental.
Donoho hired as Toddler Room Lead Child Care Provider
The board ratified the appointment of Jacey Donoho as lead teacher for the toddler room at the Rend Lake College Foundation Children’s Center, effective July 1. Donoho has worked as an assistant teacher in the room for two years and has demonstrated the needed skills and abilities to be successful in this position. Donoho is also a graduate of the RLC Early Childhood Education program.
In other business, the board …
- Approved a second reading raising the hourly rate for some part-time positions, effective July 1;
- Approved revisions to the policy and procedure regarding dual credit, effective July 13;
- Approved fees for Summer 2022;
- Approved a first reading raising the hourly rate for some part-time positions, effective August 10;
- Approved the 2021-22 Record Retention Handbook, Student Handbook, Student Worker Handebook and Police Department JCA Compliance Policy Handbook;
- Reviewed and accepted the College Mission Statement and mission document;
- Updated the college's definition of co-curricular;
- Accepted the resignation of Trio Adviser Faith Matzker, effective July 16;
- Accepted the resignation of Rend Lake College Foundation Children’s Center Director Chrissy Confer, effective July 28.
Mark Your Calendars
- Warrior Days Workshop, Wednesday, July 28, Rend Lake College Campus, 9:30 a.m. to noon
- Warrior Days Workshop, Wednesday, August 4, Rend Lake College Campus, 9:30 a.m. to noon
- RLC Sponsored Back to School Night for High School Students, Wednesday, August 4, Aquatic Zoo 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Warrior Days Workshop, Saturday, August 14, Rend Lake College Campus, 9:30 a.m. to noon
- Fall 2021 Semester Begins, Monday, August 16
- Annual RLC Foundation Golf Outing, Thursday, September 9, Rend Lake Golf Course, noon shotgun start
- Fun Fest, Wednesday, September 15, Rend Lake College Ina Campus, noon to 3 p.m.
- Auto Show, Saturday, October 9, Rend Lake College Ina Campus
- RLCF Annual Scholarship Dinner, Thursday, October 21, Benton Civic Center, 6 to 8 p.m.